Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Design

1. What type of game are you going to produce?
I prefer platform style games than shooter type games. Therefore, I will be producing a platform style game.

2. What will it look like?
The setting of the game will be in the forest. There will be trees and plants in the background. There will be some underground tunnels but mainly, I would prefer it to be on the main ground. In the underground tunnels, I will put lights at several places but there will be some parts where darkness will guard. This will give the gamer a challenge. There will be some places where the land is filled with water and the gamer has to cross it. Falling in the water might cause mission failure. Some parts will consist of hills or walls which will play as the opponent of the gamer. The doors will play the role of a stopper and the keys that unlock the door will be hidden somewhere in the level. The gamer will have to fight or escape the ninjas, bats and spike blocks. They will play the enemy. Overall, I have got a design but it will change a little until the game is created.

3. How will the characters be controlled?
The character will be controlled using the arrow keys on the keyboard. The left key will allow the gamer to move left, the right key will allow the gamer to move right, the up key will allow the gamer to jump and the down key will allow the gamer to bend and squat down to prevent getting hit by the enemies. Also, the space bar will allow the gamer to use the selected weapon. As the game proceeds and the gamer receive more weapons, the "z" key will allow him/her to change and rotate through the weapons to pick the weapon of their choice. Pressing the shift key will allow the player to use an extra supporting item like the shield or torch. To rotate and change through those items, the gamer will press the "x" key.

4. What will be the objective of the game?
The objective of the game will be to kill all the enemies and rescue the golden statue which has been stolen by the evil Poiente. While you are killing the enemies to reach the statue, there will be doors that you will have to pass. These doors will be locked. Therefore, the gamer will have to find the keys to these doors, also. Once the gamer kills all the enemies and reaches the statue, the game will be completed.

5. How are you going to test its functionality?
I will test the game’s functionality by playing the game a couple of time myself and once or twice with the help of a friend. Mostly, I will test it myself because I will know exactly what I am looking for but involving another person to test the game will give me an opportunity to look at the game in a different way. I would want them to give me their opinions on the game on how to make it better.

6. How will it be evaluated?
It will be evaluated using the factors of what makes a “good” game enjoyable to play. Like I answered in the investigation, factors such as originality, difficulty, number of ‘climaxes’, etc affect the enjoyableness of a game. Therefore, I will have to make sure I all the factors are achieved. To do this, I will have to ask other people about their opinion on the game. This will give me the idea of what I should improve on to make the game better.

7. How long will you need to create it? Give a timeline for its completion.
I will need about a week and a half to create the video game. In the time given, I will need to select the background, characters, enemies, challenges, obstacles, etc. At the same time, I will have to test the game, check its functionality and evaluate it. Therefore, it is important for me to use my time wisely and finish making the video game in about a week and I might take three to four days extra to test it.

No comments: